Seeing that there are a growing number of copyright infringements at the moment. I just wanted to share some of the 10 Commandments provided by the DuPho (Dutch Photographers (association)). Some words to live by and some words to remember.
Copyright on photographs 10 commandments
- Respect copyright on photographs.
- Always ask permission from the photographer if you want to use a photograph.
- Do not trust anyone who claims that he can give permission. Only the photographer can give permission for the use of his photographs.
- Make sure that there can be no misunderstanding about the way the photo is used and the agreed fee.
- Only use a photograph for the agreed purposes.
- Always try to find the photographer of the photo you wish to use. Do not use a photo when you do not know who made it.
- Always state the photographer’s name next to his photo.
- Do not change, crop or cut a photo without permission of the photographer.
- Watch out for the rights of third parties. Also ask their permission before using the photo.
- Always give the photographer a copy of the publication.